M. Sriram Iyengar, PhD
Adjunct Associate Professor
- BTech, Electrical Engineering, The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- MSc, Electrical Communication Engineering (Information and Communication Theory), The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- MS, Statistics, The Ohio State University
- PhD, Computer Science (Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence), The Ohio State University
- University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award 2014
- John P McGovern Outstanding Teacher Award 2010-2011
- Microsoft Research: Cellphone as Platform for Healthcare, February 2008; Project Title: Interactive Structured Multimodal clinical guidelines on cell phones
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston: Young Investigator Award, 2007
Iyengar's research interests fall into three streams:
- Clinical Informatics: Computational techniques to support Algorithmic medicine and medical decision-making
- GuideVue technology for authoring and presenting interactive structured multi-modal clinical guidelines for use by non-physician care providers ranging from astronauts in deep space missions to community health workers in developing countries. GuideVue is cross-platform, executing on the web, standalone windows, PDAs, and cell phones
- The medical algorithms project, at http://www.medal.org (in association with John R Svirbely, MD) a web-based repository of over 11,000 scales, scores, formulae and other computational techniques in over 45 different areas of health care
- VITA: Visualization techniques to enhance understanding of non-linearity in medical decision-making
- Symbolic Systems Biology:Mathematical and computational modeling of biological processes and pathways
- Signaling mechanisms in Multiple Organ Failure and other clinical consequences of trauma (with Drs David W Mercer, Rosemary Kozar et al, Trauma Research Center, UTH Medical School)
- The morphoproteomic approach in cancer research (With Dr Robert Brown, UTH Department of Pathology)
- Pathway Logic in Neurobiology (With Douglas Baxter et al UTH Neurobiology, and Carolyn Talcott, SRI International)
- Pathway Logic in signal transduction (with Carolyn Talcott, SRI International)
- Cytoview. In silico representations of the morphology of biological cells (with Nagasuma Chandra and N Balakrishnan, Indian Inst. of Science, Bangalore)
- Public Health Informatics (PHI): The role of information and communication technologies to improve data standardisation, utilisation and decision making in public health information systems. Sriram teaches the course Foundations of Health Information Science that is required for students in our dual Masters program in Public Health and Biomedical Informatics. He has mentored the doctoral dissertations of three students whose research impacts public health informatics.
- Ashish Joshi, MD, PhD (2012). The SanaViz: Human Centered GeoVisualization to facilitate visual exploration of public health data.
- Relevance to PHI: Using visualization techniques to add geographical insights to the display of public health data.
- Arunkumar Srinivasan, MS, PhD (2011) A Method for Representing Contextualized Information (Merci) to Improve Situational Awareness Among Electronic Message Brokering System Dashboard Users.
- Relevance to PHI: Designing public health dashboards to improve the display and utilisation of complex public health data.
- Parsa Mirhaji, MD, PhD. (2010) Biomedical language understanding and extraction (Blue-Text). A minimal syntactic, semantic method.
- Relevance to PHI: Extracting clinicians notes and other relevant data from large volumes of public health records to support decision making and bio-surveillance.
7000 Fannin, Suite 600
Houston, TX 77030
- Symbolic Systems Biology: Theory and Methods, M. Sriram Iyengar, Ed., Jones & Bartlett, Sudbury, MA, August 2010.
- The Science of Computing, M. Sriram Iyengar, Quantum Scientific Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA, 2013.
- Florez-Arango J, Iyengar, MS, Dunn, K, Zhang J. “Performance Factors of Mobile Rich Media Job Aids for Community Health Workers”. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2011;18:131e137, March 2011
- Jastrow KM 3rd, Gonzalez EA, McGuire MF, Suliburk JW, Kozar RA, Iyengar S, Motschall DA, McKinley BA, Moore FA, Mercer DW. “Early cytokine production risk stratifies trauma patients for multiple organ failure”, J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Sep;209(3):320-31. Epub 2009 Jun 28
- Tanaka LY, Herskovic JR, Iyengar MS, Bernstam EV. “Sequential result refinement for searching the biomedical literature”, J Biomed Inform. 2009 Aug;42(4):678-84. Epub 2009 Mar 9
- Iyengar, MS, Carruth, T, Flores-Arango, JF, Dunn,K , "Informatics-based Medical Procedure Assistance during Space Missions". Hippokratia v.12 fasc.s1 p.23 - 27, 2008
- Khodade P, Malhotra S, Kumar N, Iyengar MS, Balakrishnan N, Chandra N. “Cytoview: development of a cell modelling framework”, J Biosci. 2007 Aug;32(5):965-77
- J Herskovic, EV Bernstam, M Sriram Iyengar, Using Hit Curves to Compare Search Algorithm Performance. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 40:2, Pages 93-99, 2007.
- D Ruths, L. Nakhleh, M Sriram Iyengar, et al. Hypothesis Generation in Signaling Networks. Journal of Computational Biology, 13:9, Pages 154 –1557, 2006.
- M. Sriram Iyengar, M. Singhal. Effect of Network Delays on Load Sharing in Distributed Computing Systems, Jour. Parallel and Distributed Computing. 66:6 , June 2006, Pages 839-853.
- EV Bernstam, JR Herskovic, Y Aphinyanaphongs, CF Aliferis, MG Sriram, WR Hersh, Using citation data to improve retrieval from MEDLINE. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 13:1, pp 96-105, January 2006
- Sriram, M.G. (2003) Modeling protein functional domains in Signal Transduction using Maude. Briefings in Bioinformatics, 4(3).
- Sriram, M.G., Singhal, M. (1995) Measures of Load Sharing Potential in Distributed Computer Systems. IEEE Trans Software Engineering, vol 21, nr. 5, pg 468-475.
- Sriram, M.G., Van, der, Meulen, EC., Dudewicz, E.J., Teoh, K.W. (1995) Entropy Based Evaluation of Random Numbers. American Journal of Mathematical and Management Sciences, 15: 115-153.
- Mokry, H., Rao, B., George, J.M., Sriram, M.G. (1987) Effect of Two-Week Infusion of Deamino D-Arginine Vasopressin in Rats. Hormone Research, 25: 60-64.
- Minton, J.P., Abou-Issa, H.A., Foecking, M.K., Sriram, M.G. (1983) Caffeine and unsaturated fat diet significantly promotes DMBA-induced breast cancer in rats. Cancer, 51.
Pubmed search for Dr. Iyengar