SBMI Blog Articles
Wednesday, April 8th, 2015
On Sunday, more than 38,000 healthcare IT professionals, clinicians, executives, educators, students and vendors from around the world will converge in Chicago for the annual HIMSS Conference & Exhibition. Many of those in attendance will include members of the SBMI community. SBMI Professor James Langabeer, Ph.D., MBA is presenting at the HIMSS Academic Forum on April 12th. SBMI students Evan Bernard and Rafeek Yusuf are Program Assistants for #HIMSS15.
During the Conference, remember to visit the SBMI exhibit booth as our staff will be showcasing the various programs our school offers at Booth #5462 in University Row. We will have a photo booth as well so you can capture an exciting memento with colleagues, new and old. Stop by and say hello when you are in between sessions.
#HIMSS15 will showcase the traditional three pillars of the HIMSS Conference: the newest technologies, trends and solutions in health IT. The Conference will include over 1,200 exhibitors who will showcase cutting-edge health IT products, more than 300 different educational workshops, sessions and seminars and incredible opportunities for networking with impactful leaders in the industry. With so many events taking place, here are some helpful tips to ensure that you successfully enjoy #HIMSS15.
Ten Tips for Succeeding at #HIMSS15
1. Familiarize yourself with the schedule of events and glance through the list of sessions and events before your even land in Chicago. There is also a handy Pocket Guide for #HIMSS15 that is a great quick reference tool.
2. Remember that “there’s an app for that!” Download the #HIMSS15 mobile app so you do not get lost in McCormick Place, miss the shuttle at your hotel or forgot what you included on your Conference agenda.
3. If this is your first rodeo…we mean HIMSS Conference, be sure to pack comfortable shoes and attend the First Time Attendee Orientation; there are two sessions.
4. There are several key locations on the exhibit hall floor that you do not want to miss. While mapping out your plan, remember to include these landmarks.
5. Not sure if a fellow health IT colleague is slated to attend #HIMSS15? Use the attendee roster to see if she or he has registered.
6. If you are looking to earn Continuing Education Credits at #HIMSS15, visit the Conference website to see which educational sessions can count towards your credits.
7. #HIMSS15 boasts an excellent list of keynote speakers that includes President George W. Bush, the National Coordinator for Health Information and the President and CEO of Humana Technology. All keynote presentations will be in Skyline Ballroom, W375.
8. If you are searching for a new career, #HIMSS15 has a website that shows which exhibitors and vendors are currently hiring. Be sure to visit the page before you attend and bring copies of your resume.
9. While everyone is at #HIMSS15 to network and learn, there are plenty of opportunities to relax and listen to music, enjoy great food and socialize with other attendees. There will be several receptions taking place during the Conference. Please note that some receptions have limited or restricted admission.
10. Use social media as a way to stay connected during #HIMSS15. Use the hashtag #HIMSS15 when posting on your social media accounts so you can keep tabs on the events and posts of other attendees from the Conference. As always, SBMI live tweets during the Conference so take advantage of the SBMI social media page.
Visit the HIMSS15 website for more details on the annual Conference. We look forward to seeing you in the Windy City.
written by Chelsea Overstreet