School of Biomedical Informatics
SBMI Blog Articles
Connected Health Technologies Use in Hospitals
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016
Health informatics professionals can always turn to HIMSS for information on the latest industry trends. As usual, the society did not disappoint with its most recent results of the 2016 Connect Health Survey. The survey evaluated seven different technologies that are available in the marketplace to determine what connected health solutions are currently being utilized by the respondents and their organizations. The technologies included:
- Apps for patient education and/or engagement
- Mobile optimized patient portals
- Patient generated health data, collected from consumer devices used for remote monitoring
- Remote patient monitoring using clinical grade medical devices
- SMS texting
- Telehealth – audio visual fee for service
- Telehealth – concierge service (i.e. pay per e-visit, digital consults)
The results indicate that not only is use of connected health technology widespread (81 percent indicate their organization uses at least one of the technologies), but growth in this area is on the horizon (47 percent of respondents noted that they expect to add additional connected health technologies to their platform).
This week’s infographic blog post helps you explore the trends surrounding the tools used to support different aspects of the connected health strategies being employed at various organizations.