Academic Procedures

Grading System Good Standing Academic Probation Student Conduct & Discipline
Grade Grievance Procedure Academic Dismissal and Appeal
Reapplication Following Dismissal Grade Reports
Change of Name, Address and Marital Status Transfer Credit Reentry After Non-Attendance Deferment of Newly Admitted Students
Withdrawal from the University Clearance for Withdrawal, Graduation, or Dismissal Explanation of Course Numbers Registering/Adding a Course
Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course Auditing a Course Petitioning for Course Equivalency Concurrent/Inter-institutional Enrollment
General Degree Requirements
In Residence Requirement

Grading System

“A” indicates excellent; “B” indicates good; “C” indicates unsatisfactory; “NC” indicates "no credit" and does not affect the GPA calculation or status of the visiting graduate student and “F” indicates failing; “P” indicates passing; “WP” or “WF” indicates that the student has withdrawn passing or failing, respectively; “I” indicates an incomplete grade, meaning that course requirements have not been satisfied. All letter grades are reported without modification of plus (+) or minus (-). Grades recorded for courses dropped after the deadline for WP or WF will be recorded as “F.”

Grade point averages (GPA) are computed at the end of each semester using the following academic standard:

  • A =  4 points
  • B = 3 points
  • C =  2 points
  • NC = not counted
  • P =  not counted
  • F = 0 points
  • WF = 0 points
  • WP = 0 points

Graduate level courses in which a grade of “B” or better has been earned may not be repeated for credit. Graduate level courses in which a grade of “NC” is given do not count toward degree plan requirements. Courses taken at the School in which a grade of “F” or “WF” has been earned may be repeated for credit within the School with the permission of the Dean and as course sequencing allows. Courses taken at the School in which an “F” has been earned may not be taken at another institution for credit or to raise the grade point average (GPA).

If a course in which a student earns an “F” is repeated, the student must earn a grade of “A” or “B” in that course; any grade below a grade of “B” will result in automatic dismissal.

No graduate student may earn more than two grades of “C”, “WF”, or “F” including grades in courses taken as concurrent enrollment even though the courses are remediated; the result will be automatic dismissal. All enrollments in courses, including repeated courses, will be reflected on the student’s transcript.

An incomplete or “I” grade may be given when course requirements have not been satisfied. A student must remove a grade of “I” within one academic semester or summer session following receipt of such a grade, or the incomplete grade will be converted to the grade of “F.”  Grades of “I” will not be used in calculating the grade point average. All “I” grades must be removed from a student’s record (course requirements satisfied) before the student is eligible for graduation.

A pass/fail grading system is used in some courses. The courses that are graded on a pass/fail basis are described in the course description section of the catalog. In these instances, a symbol of “P” is used to designate “pass” and an “F” to designate “fail.” Hours for courses taken pass/fail that are passed are not entered in the grade point calculation; however, hours for courses taken pass/fail and failed are included in the grade point calculation.

Each program establishes the maximum number of semester credits allowed for a student may take on a Pass/Fail basis during his or her study in that program. Not all courses are available on a pass/ fail basis. 

Grade point average is calculated using grades and credit hours for courses except for those courses in which a grade of “I,” “WP” or “P” is recorded. Also, courses in which an “F” was earned are not included in the grade point average if these courses have been repeated and passing grades obtained. The grade achieved in the repeated course is included in the calculation. Those courses taken through concurrent enrollment are not used in calculating the grade point average. Courses obtained by Petition for Equivalency Credit (PEC) and by transfer from other institutions are not used in the calculation of the grade point average.

Back to Top

Good Standing

    To be considered in “good standing” and making “satisfactory academic progress” in the School, a graduate student admitted to a graduate degree program must be following the degree plan; must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above; and must not be on academic probation or suspension as determined by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. To remain in good standing a graduate student may earn no more than one “C” grade during their program.

    Back to Top

    Academic Probation

      Probation is an official warning status for a defined period of time that informs the student of unsatisfactory academic and/or professional performance, and provides the student an opportunity to improve. Any student who does not adhere to the  academic and professional standards of the School is subject to probation, suspension, and/or dismissal by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Academic probation will be noted on a student’s transcript. When a student attains a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0, the student’s official transcripts will reflect the student’s removal from academic probation. 

      Criteria upon which grades are based are given at the beginning of each course in the course syllabus. Professional standards include appropriate dress, attendance, conduct, and any particular standards required by the program. If a student has questions regarding academic and professional requirements or if assistance is needed in meeting the standards, the student should consult with the course instructor or advisor.

      Following the completion of the semester in which any of the following occur, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will place a graduate student on academic probation if the student (1) receives a second grade of less than “B” in a graduate course while at SBMI; (2) earns a calculated cumulative grade point average (GPA) less than 3.0; (3) receives a grade of less than “B” (“C,” “WF,” or “F”) in a required course; or (4) fails to make satisfactory progress toward the degree. The graduate student is removed from academic probation at the end of the following registration period when no grade below “B” is assigned in a graduate course, a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is achieved, and any other cause for probation is removed or remedied.

      An SBMI graduate student will be dismissed if a third grade of “C,” “WF,” or “F” is earned in any graduate level courses. If a grade of “C” is earned while the student is enrolled in a concurrent or Inter-institutional course, the student will be placed on probation. If it is the third grade of “C,” the student will be dismissed.

      A graduate-level course is a course that has HI or HIT as prefix letters and an initial number not less than 5 in the catalog number or is any graduate level at another institution.

      Back to Top

      Student Conduct & Discipline

        All students are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with UTHealth policies regarding student conduct. Students are referred to the UTHealth Handbook of Operating Procedures (HOOP) Policy 186.  

        Back to Top

        Grade Grievance Procedure

          In attempting to resolve any student grievance regarding grades or evaluations, it is the obligation of the student first to make a serious effort to resolve the matter with the faculty member with whom the grievance originated. Individual faculty members retain primary responsibility for assigning grades and evaluations. The faculty member's judgment is final unless compelling evidence suggests differential treatment or mistake. If the evidence warrants appeal, the student must submit a request in writing within 30 days of the date of the evaluation in question and, in the case of a grade for a course, within 30 days of the date the Registrar recorded the grade of the course in question. The request for the appeal with supporting evidence must be submitted to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and the appeal must be resolved by no later than the end of the semester after the semester in which the grade was earned. Upon receipt of the request, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will review the case and submit a copy of the appeal to the Admissions, Progression, and Graduation Committee of the SBMI Faculty Governance Organization for review and recommendation. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will submit a written recommendation to the Dean. The determination of the Dean is final.

          Back to Top

          Academic Dismissal and Appeal

            If a student who is on academic probation for one semester does not achieve the minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA and the individual course grades necessary to be removed from probation or remove the cause of probationary status, that student will be notified of dismissal from the program by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and will not be allowed to continue in the program. 

            The student may request a reconsideration of the dismissal by submitting a written request to the Dean within five working days of receipt of the dismissal letter.  The student must also send a copy to the Chair of the Admissions, Progression and Graduation Committee of the Faculty Governance Organization.  The student must provide evidence in support of the request for reconsideration of the dismissal. The Admissions, Progression and Graduation Committee will review the request and render its recommendation in writing to the Dean. The student will be notified in writing of the Dean’s decision within seven calendar days of the Committee’s recommendation. The determination of the Dean is final.

            Back to Top

            Reapplication Following Dismissal

              Should a student reapply and be readmitted to the program from which he or she was dismissed, the student will be placed on scholastic probation for one semester. If the student fails to raise his or her cumulative GPA within that semester to 3.0, or if the student makes a course grade below that required to be removed from probation, or otherwise fails to meet standards to be off probation, the student will be dismissed from the School and may not be readmitted.

              Back to Top

              Grade Reports

                Students may access their term grade reports online at myUTH at

                Back to Top

                Change of Name, Address, or Marital Status

                  The student’s full legal name is the name recorded on the application at the time of admission. The student must report any changes in name, address or marital status to the Office of the Registrar, and to the SBMI Office of Academic Affairs. Official documents verifying a name change are required. 

                  The student’s full legal name is used on the permanent academic record, certificates, and diplomas.

                  Back to Top

                  Transfer Credit

                  Transfer credit for equivalent courses taken elsewhere may be awarded and used to meet degree requirements if their equivalency to a SBMI degree program course is approved through a Petition for Equivalency Credit (PEC). The maximum number of transferable semester credit hours is 3 for the certificate program, 12 for the master’s program, and 36 for the doctoral program. Some School degree programs require a certain number of credits for support courses, which are courses (possibly taken elsewhere) that enhance a student’s degree plan as determined by their advising committee. Credit for support courses taken elsewhere is approved by the student’s advising committee—a Petition for Equivalency Credit is not required. Contact the Office of Academic Affairs for information.

                  Applicants who are presenting course work from universities or colleges outside the United States to meet admission or graduation requirements are referred to the section on International Applicants in this catalog for a listing of additional requirements.

                  Back to Top

                  Reentry After Non-Attendance

                  A student who has not enrolled in two consecutive registration periods (including the summer session) must submit to the Office of Academic Affairs a "Reentry Form" signed by the student’s advisor or the Program Coordinator of Certificate Programs indicating approval for reentry to the program.  A former student who has not completed a Reentry Form and has not enrolled for two consecutive registration periods must reapply for admission to the program and the school.

                  Back to Top

                  Deferment for Newly Admitted Students

                    Deferment for Newly Admitted Students – A newly admitted program student is allowed up to one year for deferment. The Office of Academic Affairs must be notified of all deferments before the start of the semester. Any student who does not enroll for three consecutive registration periods shall no longer be considered a program student and must reapply for admission to the program and the School.

                    Back to Top

                    Withdrawal from the University

                      A student who withdraws from the School at the end of, or prior to, completing a scheduled semester, should notify his or her advisor and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in writing. The letter should include the date of intended withdrawal and the specific reason(s) for withdrawal. The student should state if it is his or her intention to seek readmission to the course of study at a later date and, if so, the specific date he or she would wish to be readmitted. The letter should include a permanent mailing address to which any communications may be sent.

                      Back to Top

                      Clearance for Withdrawal, Graduation, or Dismissal

                        Any student who withdraws or is dismissed from, or completes a program in the School must complete the official student clearance process. Such clearance is necessary to ensure that the student has met all obligations to specified offices in the School, UTHealth, and the Texas Medical Center. A student clearance form and instructions for completing the clearance process may be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs.

                        Back to Top

                        Explanation of Course Numbers

                          Courses are numbered by a letter prefix, which designates the program and/or division in which the course is taught, followed by a four-digit number. In all program courses, the first digit indicates the year beyond high school; the second digit is the number of semester credits given for the course, except for courses with variable credit in which the second digit is a zero; and the last two digits indicate the number the program uses to identify the course. An example of a course number is HI 5301. In this case the “HI” stands for Health Informatics; the “5” stands for fifth year; the “3” stands for three semester credits given for the course; and the “01” is the program identification number for the course. The pre-foundations courses do not conform to this standard.

                          The program/division prefixes used are:
                          HI Health Informatics
                          HIT Health Informatics Technology 

                          Back to Top

                          Registering/Adding a Course

                            To register for a course, the student must first obtain approval from the student's advising committee and the course instructor (if required). The student must then contact the Office of Academic Affairs to get the call number and an approval code. Following this, the student must use myUTH at to add the course to their schedule. Refer to the Office of the Registrar’s School of Biomedical Informatics Academic Calendar for deadline dates for adding a course for any semester or session. A student will be unable to add a course after the official reporting date. 

                            Back to Top

                            Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course

                              To drop a course before the official reporting date the student must go to myUTH. The student must have the call number to drop the class.

                              After the official reporting date and before the last date to withdraw listed in the Office of the Registrar’s School of Biomedical Informatics Academic Calendar for that semester, the student must obtain a withdrawal slip from the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Academic Affairs. Students must obtain signatures of the course instructor(s), and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in order to drop the course(s). The student must return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar before the deadline for dropping a course. The grade recorded on the transcript will be a “WP” (withdrawal passing) or “WF” (withdrawal failing). The instructor must assign a grade of “WP” or “WF”.  A “WP” is indicated on the transcript if a student has no grades recorded or has a passing grade in the course at the time the course is dropped. The “WP” will not be calculated as part of the GPA. A “WF” is recorded if the student has a failing grade at the time the course is dropped. A record of “WF” on the transcript will be calculated as an “F” in determining the GPA.

                              If a student does not officially withdraw from the course, a grade of “F” will be assigned. A grade of “F” is recorded if course is dropped after the deadline stated in the academic calendar for that semester or session.

                              Back to Top

                              Auditing a Course

                                SBMI does not allow auditing.

                                Back to Top

                                Petitioning for Course Equivalency

                                  A student who wishes to receive credit for a course which he or she has taken at another institution and which is similar in content to any course offered at the School is to submit required documentation for a Petition for Equivalency Credit (PEC) to the Office of Academic Affairs. Courses for which grades of less than “B” were achieved will not be accepted for equivalency.

                                  Back to Top


                                    A student may, by written request or via UTLINK, secure a transcript of his or her official record from the UTHSC-H Registrar’s Office at a cost of $5 per transcript. The official transcript is a comprehensive record of the student’s total academic progress at UTHSC-H. No transcripts will be issued showing only a portion of the student’s academic record. A student who owes debts to the University will have his or her official transcript withheld until the debts are paid.

                                    Back to Top

                                    Concurrent/Interinstitutional Enrollment

                                      SBMI students may take courses for credit at area state colleges and universities through concurrent enrollment. Courses taken by concurrent enrollment will not be counted toward full-time status of a student and will not be calculated into the student’s GPA. Universities available for concurrent enrollment include Texas Woman’s University (Texas Medical Center), University of Houston (main campus), and University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. Concurrently enrolled students may complete a maximum of 12 semester credit hours and must maintain a 3.0/4.0 grade point average in those courses.

                                      Enrollment in courses offered by private universities is made through inter-institutional enrollment. Courses taken through inter-institutional enrollment will be counted toward a student’s full-time status and will be calculated into the student’s grade point average. Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine are available for inter-institutional enrollment. Inter-institutional students may complete a maximum of 12 semester credit hours and must maintain a 3.0/4.0 grade point average in those courses. Information about participating institutions and procedures for concurrent/ inter-institutional enrollment may be obtained from the Office of Registrar.

                                      Back to Top

                                      General Degree Requirements

                                        In order to receive a degree or a certificate from the School of Biomedical Informatics, the student is required to fulfill certain academic, in residence, and degree candidacy requirements. A student must be a Program Student and must have completed all the curricular requirements of that program before being eligible for a degree or certificate.

                                        Back to Top

                                        In Residence Requirement

                                          The term “in residence” refers to the minimum number of semester credit hours that must be earned in the School. A student must fulfill his or her in residence requirement in order to receive any academic degree or a certificate from the School. Refer to each degree section for specific semester credit hour minimum requirements.

                                          Back to Top