The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) is committed to providing a safe environment for its students and employees. Section 51.215 of the Texas Education Code permits UTHealth to obtain criminal background information regarding applicants for security sensitive positions as designated by the President of UTHealth or his/her designee. Increasingly, a criminal background check is being required by clinical facilities in which students enrolled in clinical programs receive education and training. Furthermore, some licensing boards in Texas require criminal background checks before issuing a license to practice. Based on this background, The University of Texas Board of Regents at the July 8, 2005, meeting granted authority to all institutions offering clinical programs to amend their catalogs to inform potential students of the possible requirement of a criminal background check. Individuals who are unable to meet the schools criminal history standards may be denied admission or continued enrollment in the program.
For the purposes of this policy, UTHealth has determined that all students are in security sensitive positions and thus may be subject to criminal background checks. This policy goes into effect immediately and may encompass current students as well as incoming students. A second background check may be required for clinical placement or other purposes at the discretion of the school and at the expense of the student. (HOOP Policy #160).
Please read through ALL instructions. The answers to frequently asked questions are provided below, as well as information that you will need to know.
* Once you have completed your application, please review the information you provided before submitting to avoid a delay in your background check.
* If you have your phone or computer set to Auto fill, then you absolutely need to double check the information you entered.
* If there is a problem with your application or additional information is needed, a Pre-Check representative will contact you using the email address that you provided. Please double check that you provided a valid email address. You are responsible for replying to any emails from the Pre-Check company when information is updated, as Pre-Check will not be notified otherwise and your background check will not be started.
* You will receive an email when your background check has been accepted. Your background check will usually begin processing within 1-3 business days; however, Pre-Check cannot guarantee this time. Please complete the process as soon as possible to avoid exceeding the deadline.
* Please do NOT contact The Pre-Check Company for the status of your background check. The completed background check will be sent directly to SBMI. You will not receive notification when it is completed.
* Students with criminal activity or that have lived outside of Texas may take longer to process. Additional fees may apply for certain counties. We will contact you if an additional fee is required.
* International students will take longer to process. The processing time varies per country. There will be an additional fee for all International background checks. This fee also varies per country. After reviewing your completed application, Pre-Check will contact you with the fee amount and if any additional information is required.
* If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
* Please do NOT call The Pre-Check Company.
Go to https://pre-check.com/student-login/ and select “University of Texas School of Biomedical Informatics” from the dropdown. You will be taken to a new page and under “Next Steps” you will click on the “Apply here” button.
Once you enter the application, please complete the following steps:
* Fill in your contact information. The application is based on your email address so if you need to apply again for another background check, you will need to use a different email address.