Dean F. Sittig, PhD, is a professor at UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics (SBMI). He currently serves on the American Medical Informatics Association board of directors and is a member of the UT-Memorial Hermann Center for Healthcare Quality & Safety. Additionally, Sittig is the Executive Director of the Clinical Informatics Research Collaborative, a group of academic applied clinical informatics researchers committed to improving our understanding of issues involved in the design, development, implementation, use and evaluation of all aspects of health information technology with a particular emphasis on EHRs.
Sittig's research interests center on the design, development, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of clinical information systems (CIS), specifically measuring the impact of CIS on a large scale and improving understanding of both the factors that lead to the success of CIS as well as the unintended consequences associated with computer-based clinical decision support and provider order entry systems. He is particularly interested in ensuring the safe and effective use of technology in the clinical setting, using advanced clinical decision support interventions to improve the quality of care and patient safety while reducing the costs of healthcare and designing and developing the clinical knowledge required to create these advanced clinical decision support interventions.
In 1992, he was elected as a fellow in The American College of Medical Informatics, and in 2009, he won the John P. McGovern Outstanding Teacher Award as voted by the SBMI student body. Sittig has co-authored an extensive collection of books and has won the Health Information Management and Systems Society Book of the Year Award thrice.
Phone: 713.500.3944 ext. 7977
Clinical Information Systems (CISs)
1. Sittig DF, Deno NS, Gaumond RP. A mathematical computer simulation of bottled oxygen-type respirators and human subjects. Journal of the International Society for Respiratory Protection 1986;4(1):13-33.
2. Sittig DF, Gardner RM , Pace NL, Morris AH, Beck E. Computerized management of patient care in a complex, controlled clinical trial in the Intensive Care Unit. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 1989;30:77-84.
3. Sittig DF, Elliott CG, Wallace CJ, Bailey P, Gardner RM. Screening for adult respiratory distress syndrome patients: Use of the HELP hospital information system. Journal of Clinical Engineering 1989;14(3):237-243.
4. Sittig DF, Pace NL, Gardner RM, Beck E, Morris AH. Implementation of a computerized patient advice system using the HELP clinical information system. Computers and Biomedical Research 1989;22(5):474-487.
5. Bradshaw KE, Sittig DF, Gardner RM, Pryor TA, Budd M. Computer-based data entry for nurses in the ICU. M.D. Computing 1989;6(5):274-280.
6. Elwood J, Sittig DF. The biomedical engineering technician as a member of the clinical research team. Biomedical Instrumentation & Technology 1989;23(6):440-443.
7. Sittig DF, Factor M. Physiologic trend detection and artifact rejection: A parallel implementation of a multi-state Kalman filtering algorithm. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 1990;(31):1-10.
8. Miller PL, Sittig DF. The evaluation of clinical decision support systems: What is necessary vs. what is interesting. Medical Informatics 1990;15(3):185-190.
9. Factor M, Sittig DF, Cohn AI, Gelernter D, Miller PL, Rosenbaum SH. A parallel software architecture for building intelligent medical monitors. International Journal of Clinical Monitoring & Computing 1990;7(2):117-128.
10. Sittig DF, Gardner RM, Morris AH, Wallace CJ. Clinical evaluation of computer-based respiratory care algorithms. International Journal of Clinical Monitoring & Computing 1990;7(3):177-185.
11. Morris AH, Wallace CJ, Clemmer TP, Orme JF, Weaver LK, Dean NC, Butler S, Suchyta MR, East TD, Sittig DF. Extracorporeal CO2 removal therapy for adult respiratory distress syndrome patients. Respiratory Care 1990;35(3): 224-231.
12. Morris AH, Wallace CJ, Clemmer TP, Orme JF, Weaver LK, Dean NC, Butler S, Suchyta MR, East TD, Sittig DF. Extracorporeal CO2 removal therapy for adult respiratory distress syndrome patients: A computerized protocol controlled trial. Reanimation Soins Intensifs Medecine d'Urgence 1990;6(7); 485-490.
13. Sittig DF, Foulser D, Carriero N, McCorkle G, Miller PL. A parallel computing approach to genetic sequence comparison: The master-worker paradigm with interworker communication. Computers and Biomedical Research, 1991;24(2):152-169.
14. Factor M, Gelernter DH, Kolb C, Miller PL, Sittig DF. Real-time data fusion in the intensive care unit. IEEE Computer, 1991;24(11): 45-54.
15. Factor M, Gelernter DH, Sittig DF. The multi-trellis software architecture and the intelligent cardiovascular monitor. Methods of Information in Medicine 1992;31(1):44-55.
16. Sittig DF, Cheung KH. A parallel implementation of a multi-state Kalman filtering algorithm to detect ECG arrhythmias. International Journal of Clinical Monitoring & Computing 1992;9(1):13-22.
17. Sittig DF, Orr JA. A parallel implementation of the backward error propagation neural network training algorithm: Experiments in event identification. Computers and Biomedical Research 1992;25:547-561.
18. Rafferty T, Durkin MA, Sittig DF, Ezekowitz M, Lamantia K, Davis E, Elefteriades J. Transesophageal color flow doppler imaging of aortic insufficiency in cardiac surgery patients. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 1992;104:521-525.
19. Oppenheim MI, Factor M, Sittig DF. BIO-SPEAD: A parallel computing environment to accelerate development of biologic signal processing algorithms. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 1992;37:137-147.
20. Sittig DF, Shifman MA, Nadkarni P and Miller PL . Parallel computation for medicine and biology: Applications of LINDA at Yale University. International Journal of Supercomputer Applications 1992;6(2):147-163.
21. Sittig DF. Work-Sampling: A statistical approach to evaluation of the effect of computers on work patterns in healthcare. Methods of Information in Medicine 1993;32:167-174.
22. East TD, Morris AH, Wallace CJ, Clemmer TP, Orme JF, Weaver LK, Henderson S, Sittig DF. A strategy for development of computerized critical care decision support systems. International Journal of Clinical Monitoring & Computing 1992;8(4):263-269.
23. Sittig DF, Cheung KH, Berman L. Fuzzy classification of hemodynamic trends and artifacts: Experiments with the heart rate. International Journal of Clinical Monitoring & Computing 1992;9(4):251-257.
24. Sittig DF, Jiang Z, Jelliffe RW. A graphical user interface to facilitate patient-specific drug dosing. Journal of Medical Systems 1993;17(5):327-333.
25. Morris AH, Wallace CJ, Menlove RL, Clemmer TP, Orme JF, Weaver LK, Dean NC, Thomas F, East TD, Pace NL, Suchyta MR, Beck E, Bombino M, Sittig DF, Bohm S, Hoffman B, Becks H, Butler S, Pearl J, Rasmusson B. Randomized clinical trial of pressure-controlled inverse ratio ventilation and extracorporeal CO2 removal for adult respiratory distress syndrome. American Journal of Respiratory Critical Care Medicine 1994;149:295-305.
26. Sittig DF, Stead WW. Computer-based Physician Order Entry: The state of the art. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 1994;1(2): 108-123.
27. Sittig DF, Jiang Z, Manfre S, Sinkfeld K, Ginn R, Smith L, Olsen A, Borden R. Evaluating a computer-based experiential learning simulation: A case study using criterion reference testing. Computers in Nursing. 1995;13(1):17-24.
28. Oppenheim MA, Sittig DF. An innovative dicrotic notch detection algorithm which combines rule-based logic with digital signal processing techniques. Computers and Biomedical Research 1995;28:154-170.
29. Jiang Z, Sittig DF. Developing interactive computer-based simulations: An object-oriented development methodology enhances computer-assisted instruction. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 1995;47:189-196.
30. Sittig DF, Kaalaas-Sittig J. A quantitative ranking of the Biomedical Informatics serials. Methods of Information in Medicine. 1995;34(4):403-416.
31. Zakaria AM, Sittig DF. Creating a Usenet newsgroup: sci.med.informatics. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 1995;2(4):215-219.
32. Stead WW, Sittig DF. Building a data foundation for tomorrow's healthcare information management systems. International Journal of Biomedical Computing 1995;39(1):127-131.
33. Sittig DF. Identifying a core set of Medical Informatics serials: An analysis using the MEDLINE database. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1996; 84(2): 200-204.
34. Sittig DF, Greeno S. Re-engineering healthcare: Computer tools support the definition and analysis of work at the Vanderbilt University Hospital and Clinic. Journal of Medical Systems 20(6):423-438; 1996.
35. Sittig DF, Kuperman GJ, Teich JM. Linking clinical systems and the Web: The state of the art. Telemedicine and Telehealth Networks, June:31-36;1997.
36. Sittig DF, Sengupta S, Payne TH. The Clinical Information Architect as a Member of the Healthcare Team. Medical Updates 2(2): 120-123; 1999.
37. Kuperman GJ, Sittig DF, Shabot MM. Clinical Decision Support for Hospital and Critical Care. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, 13(2): 81-96, 1999.
38. Sittig DF. Use of Fuzzy Set Theory to Extend Dhawan's Journal Selection Model: Ranking the Biomedical Informatics Serials. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1999 Jan;87(1):43–49.
39. Bates DW; Pappius E; Kuperman GJ; Sittig DF; Burstin H; Fairchild D; Brennan TA; Teich JM. Using information systems to measure and improve quality. International Journal of Medical Informatics 1999 Feb-Mar;53(2-3):115-24.
40. Sittig DF. Gandhi TK, Franklin M, Turetsky M, Sussman AJ, Fairchild DG, Bates DW, Komaroff AL, Teich JM. A Computer-Based Outpatient Clinical Referral System. International Journal of Medical Informatics (55)2 (1999) pp. 149-158.
41. Gandhi TK, Sittig DF, Franklin M, Sussman AJ, Fairchild DG, Bates DW. Communication breakdown in the out-patient referral process. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2000; 15:626-631.
42. Sittig DF, King S, Hazlehurst BL. A survey of patient-provider e-mail communication: what do patients think? International Journal of Medical Informatics 2001 Apr;61(1):71-
43. Wagner MM, Tsui F, Espino JU, Data V, Sittig DF, Caruana R, McGuinness LF, Deerfield D, Druzdzel M, Fridsma D. Early Detection of Major Public Health Threats. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 7(6):51-59; 2001.
44. Sittig DF. Personal Health Records on the Internet: A Snapshot of the Pioneers at the End of the 20th Century. International Journal of Medical Informatics 2002 Apr;65(1):1-6.
45. Sittig DF, Hazlehurst BL, Palen T, Hsu J, Jimison H, Hornbrook MC. A clinical information system research landscape, Part 1. The Permanente Journal, Spring 2002; 6(2):62-68.
46. Sittig DF, Hazlehurst BL, Palen T, Hsu J, Jimision H, Hornbrook MC. A clinical information system research agenda for Kaiser Permanente, Part 2. The Permanente Journal. Summer 2002; 6(3):41-44.
47. Sittig DF, Kirshner M, Maupome G. Grand Challenges in Dental Informatics. Advances in Dental Research 17:21-24; 2003.
48. Neely AN, Sittig DF. Basic Microbiologic and Infection Control Information to Reduce the Potential Transmission of Pathogens to Patients via Computer Hardware. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 2002; 9(5):500-508.
49. Sittig DF. Results of a Content Analysis of Electronic Messages (email) sent between Patients and their Physicians. BMC Medical Informatics & Decision Making. 2003 Oct 1;3:11.
50. Feldstein A, Simon SR, Schneider J, Krall M, Laferriere D, Smith DH, Sittig DF, Soumerai SB. How to design computerized alerts to safe prescribing practices. Joint Commission Journal Quality Safety. 2004 Nov;30(11):602-13.
51. Teich JM, Osheroff JA, Pifer EA, Sittig DF, Jenders RA, Panel TC. Clinical Decision Support in Electronic Prescribing: Recommendations and an Action Plan. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2005 Jul-Aug;12(4):365-76.
52. Hazlehurst B, Frost HR, Sittig DF, Stevens VJ. MediClass: A system for detecting and classifying encounter-based clinical events in any EMR. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2005 Sep-Oct;12(5):517-29.
53. Sittig DF, Krall M, Kaalaas-Sittig J, Ash JS. Emotional Aspects of Computer-based Provider Order Entry: A Qualitative Study. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2005 Sep-Oct;12(5):561-7.
54. Sittig DF, Shiffman RN, Leonard K, Friedman C, Rudolph B, Hripcsak G, Adams LL, Kleinman LC, Kaushal R. A draft framework for measuring progress towards the development of a national health information infrastructure. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2005 Jun 13;5(1):14.
55. Ash JS, Sittig DF, Seshadri V, Dykstra RH, Carpenter JD, Starvi PZ. Adding Insight: A Qualitative Cross-site Study of Physician Order Entry. Int J Med Inform. 2005 Aug;74(7-8):623-8.
56. Hazlehurst B, Sittig DF, Stevens VJ et al. Natural Language Processing in the Electronic Medical Record: Assessing Clinician Adherence to Tobacco Treatment Guidelines. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 29(5), December 2005, Pages 434-
57. Sittig DF, Krall MA, Dykstra RH, Russell A, Chin HL. A Survey of Factors Affecting Clinician Acceptance of Clinical Decision Support. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2006 Feb 1;6(1):6
58. Feldstein A, Smith DH, Perrin N, Yang X, Simon SR, Krall MA, Sittig DF, Ditmer D, Platt R, Soumerai S. Reducing warfarin medication interactions: A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2006;166: 1009-1015.
59. Sittig DF. Potential impact of advanced clinical information technology on cancer care in 2015. Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Aug;17(6):813-20.
60. Sittig DF, Ash JS, Ledley RS. The Story Behind the Development of the First Whole-body Computerized Tomography Scanner as Told by Robert S. Ledley. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2006 Sep-Oct;13(5):465-9.
61. Smith DH, Perrin N, Feldstein A,Yang X, Kuang D, Simon SR, Sittig DF, Platt R, Soumerai S. The Impact Of Prescribing Safety Alerts For The Elderly In An Electronic Medical Record: An interrupted time series evaluation. Archives of Internal Medicine 2006;166: 1098-1104.
62. Sittig DF, Ash JS, Jiang Z, Osheroff JA, Shabot MM. Lessons from "unexpected increased mortality after implementation of a commercially sold computerized physician order entry system". Pediatrics. 2006 Aug;118(2):797-801.
63. Campbell E, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Guappone K, Dykstra R. Types of unintended consequences related to computerized provider order entry. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association 2006 Sep-Oct;13(5):547-56.
64. Ash JS, Sittig DF, Dykstra RH, Guappone K, Carpenter JD, Seshadri V. Categorizing the unintended sociotechnical consequences of computerized provider order entry. Int J Med Inform. 2007 Jun;76 Suppl 1:S21-7.
65. Thompson DI, Osheroff J, Classen D, Sittig DF. A Review of Methods to Estimate the Benefits of Electronic Medical Records in Hospitals and the Need for a National Benefits Database. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, Winter 2007 - Volume 21, Issue 1; pgs. 62-68.
66. Leonard KJ, Sittig DF. Improving IT Adoption and Implementation through the Identification of Appropriate Benefits: Creating IMPROVE-IT. J Med Internet Res 2007;9(2):e9 Available at: http://www.jmir.org/2007/2/e9/
67. Wright A, Sittig DF. Encryption Characteristics of Two USB-based Personal Health Record Devices. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007 Jul-Aug;14(4):397-9.
68. Ash JS, Sittig DF, Poon EG, Guappone K, Campbell E, Dykstra RH. The Extent and Importance of Unintended Consequences Related to Computerized Provider Order Entry. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007 Jul-Aug;14(4):415-23.
69. Sittig DF, Ash JS, Guappone KP, Campbell EM, Dykstra RH. Assessing the Anticipated Consequences of Computer-based Provider Order Entry at Three Community Hospitals Using an Open-ended, Semi-structured Survey Instrument. Int J Medical Informatics 2008 Jul;77(7):440-7.
70. Wang SJ, Emery R, Fuller CD, Kim JS, Sittig DF, Thomas CR. Conditional survival in gastric cancer: a SEER database analysis. Gastric Cancer. 2007;10(3):153-8. Epub 2007 Sep 26.
71. Sittig DF, Wright A, Osheroff JA, Middleton B, Teich JM, Ash JS, Campbell E, Bates DW. Grand challenges in clinical decision support. J Biomed Inform. 2008 Apr;41(2):387-92.
72. Wright A, Sittig DF. A four-phase model of the evolution of clinical decision support architectures. Int J Med Inform. 2008 Oct;77(10):641-9.
73. Wang SJ, Fuller CD, Kim JS, Sittig DF, Thomas CR Jr, Ravdin PM. Prediction Model for Estimating the Survival Benefit of Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Gallbladder Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008 May 1;26(13):2112-7.
74. Wright A, Sittig DF. SANDS: A service-oriented architecture for clinical decision support in a National Health Information Network. J Biomed Inform. 2008 Dec;41(6):962-81.
75. Wright A, Sittig DF. A framework and model for evaluating clinical decision support architectures. J Biomed Inform. 2008 Dec;41(6):982-90.
76. Ash JS, Sittig DF, Dykstra R, Campbell E, Guappone K. The unintended consequences of computerized provider order entry: Findings from a mixed methods exploration. Int J Med Inform. 2009 Apr;78 Suppl 1:S69-76.
77. Wright A, Bates DW, Middleton B, Hongsermeier T, Kashyap V, Thomas SM, Sittig DF. Creating and sharing clinical decision support content with Web 2.0: Issues and examples. J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):334-46. (Selected and reprinted as a Best Paper by International Medical Informatics Association Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2009.)
78. Campbell EM, Guappone KP, Sittig DF, Dykstra RH, Ash JS. Computerized Provider Order Entry Adoption: Implications for Clinical Workflow. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2009 Jan;24(1):21-6.
79. Saleem JJ, Russ AL, Sanderson P, Johnson TR, Zhang J, Sittig DF. Current challenges and opportunities for better integration of human factors research with development of clinical information systems. Yearbook Medical Informatics. 2009:48-58. PMID: 19855872.
80. Hysong SJ, Sawhney MK, Wilson L, Sittig DF, Esquivel A, Watford M, Davis T, Espadas D, Singh H. Improving outpatient safety through effective electronic communication: a study protocol. Implement Sci. 2009 Sep 25;4:62. PMID: 19781075; PMCID: PMC2761849.
81. Wright A, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Sharma S, Pang JE, Middleton B. Clinical Decision Support Capabilities of Commercially-available Clinical Information Systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Sep - Oct;16(4):637-644. (Selected and reprinted as a Best Paper by International Medical Informatics Association Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2010.)
82. Sittig DF, Wright A, Simonaitis L, Carpenter JD, Allen GO, Doebbeling BN, Sirajuddin AM, Ash JS, Middleton B. The state of the art in clinical knowledge management: an inventory of tools and techniques. Int J Med Inform. 2010 Jan;79(1):44-57. Epub 2009 Oct 14. PMID: 19828364.
83. Singh H, Thomas EJ, Mani S, Sittig D, Arora H, Espadas D, Khan MM, Petersen LA. Timely follow-up of abnormal diagnostic imaging test results in an outpatient setting: are electronic medical records achieving their potential? Arch Intern Med. 2009 Sep 28;169(17):1578-86. PMID: 19786677.
84. Sittig DF, Singh H. Eight rights of safe electronic health record use. JAMA. 2009 Sep 9;302(10):1111-3. PMID: 19738098.
85. Hysong SJ, Sawhney MK, Wilson L, Sittig DF, Espadas D, Davis T, Singh H. Physician Electronic Alert Management Strategies: Implications for Medical Errors and Patient Safety. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Sep 25;4:62.
86. Singh H, Wilson L, Petersen LA, Sawhney MK, Reis B, Espadas D, Sittig DF. Improving follow-up of abnormal cancer screens using electronic health records: trust but verify test result communication. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2009 Dec 9;9:49. PMID: 20003236; PMCID: PMC2797509.
87. Sirajuddin AM, Osheroff JA, Sittig DF, Chuo J, Velasco F, Collins DA. Implementation pearls from a new guidebook on improving medication use and outcomes with clinical decision support. Effective CDS is essential for addressing healthcare performance improvement imperatives. J Healthc Inf Manag. 2009 Fall;23(4):38-45. PMID: 19894486.
88. Singh H, Wilson L, Reis B, Sawhney MK, Espadas D, Sittig DF. Ten Strategies to Improve Management of Abnormal Test Result Alerts in the Electronic Health Record. Journal of Patient Safety. 2010 Jun;6(2):121-123. PMID: 20563228
89. Hysong SJ, Sawhney MK, Wilson L, Sittig DF, Espadas D, Davis T, Singh H. Provider management strategies of abnormal test result alerts: a cognitive task analysis. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010 Jan-Feb;17(1):71-7. PMID: 20064805.
90. Sittig DF, Classen DC. Safe electronic health record use requires a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework. JAMA. 2010 Feb 3;303(5):450-1. PMID: 20124542.
91. Singh H, Thomas EJ, Sittig DF, Wilson L, Espadas D, Khan MM, Petersen LA. Notification of abnormal lab test results in an electronic medical record: do any safety concerns remain? Am J Med. 2010 Mar;123(3):238-44. PMID: 20193832.
92. Sittig DF, Singh H. A New Socio-technical Model for Studying Health Information Technology in Complex Adaptive Healthcare Systems. Quality & Safety in Healthcare, 2010 (in press).
93. Singh H, Esquivel A, Sittig DF, Murphy D, Kadiyala H, Schiesser R, Espadas D, Petersen LA. Follow-up Actions on Electronic Referral Communication in a Multispecialty Outpatient Setting. J Gen Int Medicine, 2010 (in press).
Pubmed search for Dr. Sittig