Yang Gong, MD, PhD joined UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics (SBMI) in May 2012 as an associate professor. He studied at China Medical University and Peking Union Medical College prior to earning his Doctorate in Health Informatics at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Dr. Gong is interested in researches regarding clinical decision support, human-computer interaction, and aging-in-place. He is a principal investigator on several patient safety research grants, including an AHRQ R01 on developing a learning toolkit of patient safety events. Dr. Gong teaches courses on clinical decision support systems, health data display and clinical communication. He was the recipient of John P. McGovern Outstanding Teacher Award in 2014.
“Over the past decade, we have witnessed unprecedented interest in patient safety. Web-based voluntary medical incident reporting systems, i.e. e-reporting systems, are one of the leading initiatives to enhance patient safety.” said Gong. “Such systems could offer a source of adverse event information, a reminder of hazards, and a means of monitoring potential problems as they recur. The data stored in the systems could be shared and used for comparisons within or between institutions. Ultimately, the systems would help researchers seek common solutions and translate reporting data into actionable knowledge.”
1. Best Paper, International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA), Top selection from 626 journal papers published in 2019 addressing human factors and organizational issues, 2020 Yearbook of Medical Informatics “Understanding Health Information Technology Induced Medication Safety Events by Two Conceptual Frameworks”, 2019
2. Best Paper, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), The Informatics Implementation Best Paper Award “Examining Potential Usability and Health Beliefs Among Young Adults Using a Conversational Agent for HPV Vaccine Counseling”, 2020
3. Best Paper, International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA), Medinfo 2021 Best paper award, 3rd place, “SHACL-based Report Quality Evaluation for Health IT-induced Medication Errors” 2021
1. Gong Y, Chandra A, Wang J. Toward an integrated health data display for aging in place. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2014;201:233-40. PubMed PMID: 24943549. Epub 2014/06/20. eng.
2. Lei J, Xu L, Meng Q, Zhang J, Gong Y. The Current Status of Usability Studies of Information Technologies in China: A Systematic Study. BioMed research international. 2014;2014:568303. PubMed PMID: 25050362. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4090495. Epub 2014/07/23. eng.
3. Hua L, Wang S, Gong Y. Text prediction on structured data entry in healthcare: a two-group randomized usability study measuring the prediction impact on user performance. Appl Clin Inform. 2014;5(1):249-63. PubMed PMID: 24734137. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC3974259. Epub 2014/04/16. eng.
4. Hua L, Gong Y,. Design of a user-centered voluntary patient safety reporting system: understanding the time and response variances by retrospective think-aloud protocols. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2013;192:729-33. PubMed PMID: 23920653. Epub 2013/08/08. eng.
5. Hua L, Gong Y. Information gaps in reporting patient falls: the challenges and technical solutions. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2013;194:113-8. PubMed PMID: 23941941. Epub 2013/08/15. eng.
6. Yu P, Zhang Y, Gong Y, Zhang J. Unintended adverse consequences of introducing electronic health records in residential aged care homes. Int J Med Inform. 2013 Sep;82(9):772-88. PubMed PMID: 23770027. Epub 2013/06/19. eng.
7. Khairat S, Craven C, Gong Y. Representing clinical communication knowledge through database management system integration. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2012;180:1099-101. PubMed PMID: 22874366. Epub 2012/08/10. eng.
8. Gong Y. Data consistency in a voluntary medical incident reporting system. J Med Syst. 2011 Aug;35(4):609-15. PubMed PMID: 20703528. Epub 2010/08/13. eng.
9. Gong Y, Zhang J. Toward a human-centered hyperlipidemia management system: the interaction between internal and external information on relational data search. J Med Syst. 2011 Apr;35(2):169-77. PubMed PMID: 20703572. Epub 2010/08/13. eng.
10. Gong Y. Toward a human-centered voluntary medical incident reporting system. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2010;160(Pt 1):729-33. PubMed PMID: 20841782. Epub 2010/09/16. eng.
11. Khairat S, Gong Y. Understanding effective clinical communication in medical errors. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2010;160(Pt 1):704-8. PubMed PMID: 20841777. Epub 2010/09/16. eng.
12. Hua L, Gong Y. Developing a user-centered voluntary medical incident reporting system. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2010;160(Pt 1):203-7. PubMed PMID: 20841678. Epub 2010/09/16. eng.
13. Alafaireet PE, Houghton HL, Savage GT, Gong Y. Using electronic data sources to understand the determinants of psychiatric visit non-adherence. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2009;2009:11-5. PubMed PMID: 20351813. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2815377. Epub 2009/01/01. eng.
14. Shigaki CL, Smarr KL,Gong Y, Donovan-Hanson K, Siva C, Johnson RA, et al. Social interactions in an online self-management program for rheumatoid arthritis. Chronic illness. 2008 Dec;4(4):239-46. PubMed PMID: 19091932. Epub 2008/12/19. eng.
15. Gong Y, Zhu M, Li J, Turley JP, Zhang J. Clinical communication ontology for medical errors. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2007;129(Pt 2):1007-11. PubMed PMID: 17911867. Epub 2007/10/04. eng.
16. Gong Y, Zhang J. A human-centered design and evaluation framework for information search. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2005:281-5. PubMed PMID: 16779046. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC1560642. Epub 2006/06/17. eng.
17. Gong Y, Zhang T, Rukab J, Johnson-Throop K, Malin J, Zhang J. Design and development of a search interface for an information gathering tool. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2004;107(Pt 2):1471-5. PubMed PMID: 15361059. Epub 2004/09/14. eng.
18. Zhang T, Aranzamendez G, Rinkus S, Gong Y, Rukab J, Johnson-Throop KA, et al. An information flow analysis of a distributed information system for space medical support. Stud Health Technology Inform. 2004;107(Pt 2):992-6. PubMed PMID: 15360961. Epub 2004/09/14. eng.
19. Michea YF, Pancheri K, Gong Y, Bernstam E. Comparing communication technology on Chinese, English, and Spanish diabetes websites. Proc AMIA Symp. 2002:523-7. PubMed PMID: 12463879. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2244504. Epub 2002/12/05. eng.