MATERIALS THAT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE SBMI
- Students will work with the SBMI Practicum Coordinator for any necessary affiliation agreements with the practicum site if agreements are not already in place (Exception: If you are doing your practicum at UTHealth, no affiliation agreement is needed).
- Students will work with the SBMI Practicum Coordinator for any necessary program agreements with the practicum site if agreements are not already in place (Exception: If you are doing your practicum at UTHealth, no program agreement is needed).
- A practicum proposal must be submitted by week three of the semester of enrollment to the SBMI Practicum Coordinator and it will be approved, in writing, by your Faculty Practicum Advisor. A sample practicum proposal can be found below. The proposal should include:
- The practicum site and the location(s).
- Name and title of Practicum Preceptor and a phone number and email address.
- A list of organizational requirements (and potential preferred requirements) for the practicum site.
- A list of Behavioral Learning Objectives for the practicum. Refer to the Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy of Learning Objectives in the sample practicum proposal below for reference.
- A description of what duties the student will complete.
- A list of the outcomes that the student expects to achieve.
- A list of the proposed deliverables.
- A specific timeline for when the practicum will start and be completed.
- A job description for the practicum position.
- Students must obtain IRB Approval, if required.
- Students must obtain approval from the Office of Academic Affairs for practicum registration during the semester(s) in which they enroll in the course.
MATERIALS THAT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE PRACTICUM PRECEPTOR
- Please note that the student’s Practicum Preceptor should have a Graduate degree, or a Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of five years of work experience in health informatics or related fields at the practicum site. She or he should have decision-making authority at the practicum site and be in a position or role that facilitates optimal learning opportunities for the student. It is also imperative that the Practicum Preceptor can allocate sufficient time to supervise the student and provide mentoring in the field of health informatics.
- Students must submit a letter of introduction and a resume or curriculum vitae (see below).
- Students are advised that some sites may require a health screen, a background check, drug test(s), personal liability insurance, or other site specific requirements. Please note that you may need to accomplish these tasks through a specific contractor at your own expense.
- Students should request assistance from the SBMI Practicum Coordinator in determining what documentation is required by the practicum site and how to handle the submission of said documentation.
- Preceptor Guide (PDF)
- Sample Practicum Proposal (PDF)
- Practicum Proposal Template (DOC)
- Sample Resume (PDF)
- Sample Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- Sample Letter of Introduction (PDF)
- Sample Thank you Letter (PDF)
- Sample Weekly Log (XLSX)
- Sample Capstone Report (PDF)
- Sample State-of-the-Science (PDF)
- Affiliation Agreement Document (PDF)
- Program Agreement Document (PDF)
Students needing assistance with practicum placement must contact the Practicum Coordinator at least 30 days before the start of the semester.
For more information on the HI 6000 Practicum requirements, please contact the SBMI Practicum Coordinator:
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
School of Biomedical Informatics
7000 Fannin St. | Suite 690C
Houston, TX 77030
713.500.3911 (Telephone) | 713.500.0360 (Fax)